Personal Information Collection Statement
1. This personal information collection statement (“PICS”) for TVB Publications Limited (“TVBP”) applies only to information submitted and collected through your use of our websites www.tvbweekly.com and www.tvbeventpower.com.hk (collectively, “Service Websites”), registering or applying to take part in any of our games contests or activities, purchasing/subscribing/accessing/using our product(s) or services (collectively “Service”) (“we”, “us” or “our”). By submitting your personal identifiable information, you agree to the terms of this PICS, as updated from time to time. This PICS is incorporated into and forms part of our general terms and conditions for the use of our Service Websites/Service (“T&C”).
2. We regularly review this PICS and its terms and conditions by updating it on our Service Websites. By continuing to use our Service Websites/Service after any amendments to this PICS, you are agreeing to this PICS as revised, so please do visit our Service Websites periodically for updates.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
3. We collect your personal data when you access or apply for our Service or register to be a user of our Service. It is also the case that data relating to your access or use of our Service Websites and Service are collected from you when you use our Service Websites and Service.
4. Personal information that we may collect from you includes information you provide when you:
(a) use or register to access our Service;
(b) enroll to take part in any of our activities; and/or
(c) request/purchase a product or service from us.
5. Information so collected may include:
(a) your salutation, first name and surname, mobile telephone number, region, gender, email address, age range/year and month of , nickname and password;
(b) information you provide to our support service or during other customer communications;
(c) where applicable, information about your computer, phone or other web enabled device (collectively, the “Device”), which may include mobile app token, the types and configurations of browsers, language settings, geo-location and location of your device, device type/manufacturer, Internet Protocol (IP) address (and domain names), operating system type and version, network type, and Internet service providers; and
(d) information about your usage of the Service Websites and/or the Service, which may include the time/duration and the contents and pages visited or our Service used (access log). Please see Paragraph 18 for further information.
6. Should you be on occasion providing personal data concerning a third party to us, in each of such event, you are required to comply with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486 of the Laws of Hong Kong) (“Ordinance”) by first obtaining the authorization of such individual(s) before using, disclosing and transferring their personal data to us (including giving consent on their behalf to our possible use, disclosure and transfer of their personal data) for the relevant Purposes (as defined in Paragraph 7 below). We may require you to provide us with any supporting documents which may be necessary to prove such authorization. You should also advise such individual(s) that we can be contacted for further information.
USE OF PERSONAL DATA
7. You must provide to us the personal data as set out in Paragraph 5 above if you want us to process your application or registration to our Service. Personal data provided by you will be used by us for the following purposes and any purposes related to and/or for the furtherance of any of these purposes (collectively “Purposes”):
(a) application, administration, continuation and termination of the use of our Service;
(b) enabling the provision of our Service;
(c) processing and completing transactions requested by you;
(d) facilitating communication between you and us, so that we can send you news about our Service such as features, content available on the Service, technical notices, updates, security alerts, etc.;
(e) to the extent permissible under applicable laws, direct marketing of our Service, notifying you of promotion, special offers or new products information;
(f) conducting credit reference checks;
(g) processing billing and payment, determining amounts outstanding, and, if necessary, collection of outstanding payments;
(h) enabling the daily operation of and managing your user accounts in relation to the Service;
(i) handling and following up service calls, enquiries and complaints;
(j) verifying your identity;
(k) enabling us to comply with our obligations to interconnect and other industry practices;
(l) meeting the requirements to make disclosure to any governmental authority in Hong Kong and overseas jurisdictions under the requirements of any law binding on us;
(m) enabling us to provide other services better tailored to your needs;
(n) enabling us to provide you with the most effective service in different locations, devices, connectivity and situations;
(o) helping us to monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Service;
(p) conducting research in relation to our Service provided by us;
(q) enabling us to better understand the demographics of our users;
(r) performing statistical analysis of your behavior and interest in any service provided by us;
(s) customer profiling;
(t) making suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Service or goods and services that may interest you or them;
(u) if it becomes necessary that we have to take action against you for any reason whatsoever including without limitation recovering from you any money you owe us, you expressly agree that the personal data provided by you can be relied upon in identifying and taking legal action against you;
(v) to the extent as permitted by applicable law and subject to your consent (see Paragraph 10 below), communicating with you, either directly or through one of our affiliates or partners, for marketing and promotional purposes via emails, notifications, or other messages, consistent with any permissions you may have communicated to us; and
(w) any other purposes as may be agreed by you from time to time.
8. You warrant to: (a) provide us true, accurate, current and complete personal data about yourself; and (b) update the foregoing data from time to time. We may suspend or terminate your user account (where applicable) or refuse your access to any of our Service or any part thereof without notice or accepting any liability if we suspect that you have breached this provision.
DIRECT MARKETING AND USE OF YOUR DATA
9. Subject to your consent, we intend to use the personal data you provided us as set out in Paragraph 5 above for direct marketing purposes.
10. We may not so use your personal data unless we have received your consent (which includes an indication of no objection). We may use your personal data in relation to the following classes of products and services that we, other companies in the group of companies of our parent company Television Broadcasts Limited (“TVB Group”), and our business partners may offer:
(a) products, services, news, rewards, promotions and events related to or offered by us and/or the TVB Group and/or our business partners;
(b) joint promotion rewards and with merchants and business partners offering discount and other benefits to use of our Service from and in relation to products and services of or relating to the following industries: entertainment, media and public relations, telecommunications internet connectivity, mobile applications and software, computer peripheral), lifestyle, retail, leisure and sports, sports activities and membership, spa and relaxation activities, household, apparel, food and beverage, transportation and tourism, software, fashion and accessories, electronics, e-commerce, music, gaming, education, environmental, health and wellness, non-profit, information technology, social networking, parenting, financial and property.
11. The above direct marketing may be conducted by us and/or:
(a) any of the companies within the TVB Group;
(b) our business partners providing any of the products and/or services set out in Paragraph 10 above;
(c) by an agent on behalf of us, any member company of the TVB Group or our business partners providing the aforesaid products and services.
For such purposes, your personal data held by us described in Paragraph 10 above may be provided to all or any of the persons described in this paragraph for gain for use by them in marketing those products and services. Details of the legal entities within the TVB Group can be found in our latest annual report.
12. We may not so use or provide your personal data unless exempted from the Ordinance or we have received your written consent (which includes an indication of no objection).
13. If you wish to withdraw your consent to the use and provision of your personal data for direct marketing at any time, you may opt-out of receiving such materials or communications from the relevant company within the TVB Group and/or our business partners by writing a request to us together with your user name and email address at the following addresses:
For TVB Weekly: email@example.com
For TVB Event Power: firstname.lastname@example.org
We may ask you to provide certain details about yourself so that we can be sure you are the person to whom the personal data refers. We shall seek to remove your personal data from our list for direct marketing after we receive your notification.
14. We will take all practicable and reasonable steps to protect personal data from unauthorized or accidental access, disclosure, misuse or processing, or from alteration, destruction or loss. We may transfer and/or disclose such data to the following parties for any of the Purposes as set out in this PICS:
(a) our employees and officers;
(b) any agents, suppliers, contractors, professional advisors, insurers, other network operators or third party service providers who provide administrative, telecommunications, computer and other services to us and/or the relevant service(s) in connection with our Service;
(c) any person to whom we are under an obligation to make disclosure under the requirement of any law binding on us or for the purposes of any guidelines or codes of practice issued by regulatory or other authorities with which we are expected to comply;
(d) any actual or proposed assignee, transferee or successor of or to our rights in respect of your personal data if we decide to sell any relevant part of our business;
(e) governmental or regulatory authorities or other third parties assisting us in detecting, investigating, preventing or otherwise addressing fraud, security, or technical issues.
15 We may also transfer any information we hold about you as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control. If we become involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of sale of some or all of our assets, we will ensure the confidentiality of any of your personal data involved (if any) in such transactions and provide reasonable notice before your personal data are transferred and becomes subject to a different PICS policy. An update to this PICS will be posted on the Service Websites (www.tvbweekly.com and www.tvbeventpower.com.hk) subsequently.
16. We may transfer and/or disclose necessary such data in connection with the establishment of legal claims or defences, to obtain legal advice, to exercise and defend our legal rights or to protect the life, body or property of any individual. This also applies when we have ground to believe that disclosing the personal data is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing interference with our rights or properties, whether intentionally or otherwise, or when anyone else could be harmed by activities causing such interference.
17. If necessary, we may transfer your personal data to places outside Hong Kong or from the country you are located for carrying out the Purposes (or the directly related purposes) specified in Paragraph 7 above, for which the personal data were collected. Where such a transfer is performed, it will be done in compliance with the prevailing requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Cap 486 of the laws of Hong Kong.
18. Cookies are small bits of information that are automatically stored on your device when you visit the Service Websites. A cookie can be used to identify a Device, but it is not used to collect personal information of an individual user of the Service Websites. The information collected by “cookies” is anonymous aggregated research data and contain no name or address information or any information that will enable anyone to contact you via telephone, e-mail or any other means. The information so collected will be used for compiling aggregate statistics on how visitors browse our Service Websites and for the purpose of managing and improving design of our Service Websites and/or Service. Some of the cookies are required by the Service Websites to enable you to transact whilst other cookies enable us to give you an enhanced, personalized browsing experience. Whilst most web browsers automatically accept cookies, you can edit your browser options to block them. However, if you do so, you may not be able to use some of the functions or access certain areas of the Service Websites. By accessing or using the Service Websites, you consent to the use of these cookies.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL DATA
19. Except as provided in Paragraphs 10 to 18 above, your personal data will be accessed only by our employees or contractors who are authorized to do so. Employees and contractors designated to handle personal data will be instructed to do so only in accordance with this PICS. We have implemented reasonable security measures to safeguard your personal data from unauthorized access, disclosure, use and modification. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, and no transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
20. We will retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which such data was collected. We will then destroy such data unless their retention is required to satisfy legal, regulatory or accounting requirements or to protect our interests.
ACCESS TO AND UPDATE OF PERSONAL DATA
21. You are entitled at any time to:
(a) request access to and correct personal data relating to you in any of our records;
(b) ask us to remove your personal data from any active mailing or distribution list; or
22. To exercise any of your foregoing rights, or if you have questions regarding this PIC, please contact us together with your user name and email address at the following addresses:
For TVB Weekly: email@example.com
For TVB Event Power: firstname.lastname@example.org
marking your communication “Confidential” and specifying which part or category of our Service that you have registered for. In response, we may ask you to provide certain details about yourself so that we can be sure you are the person to whom the personal data refers. We may charge you a reasonable fee for processing such access requests.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
23. The Service Websites and the Service may include links to other services or sites. This PICS applies to the Service Websites and the Service only. You are exposed to cookies that are not our responsibility when you access to linked sites or other services, and any information you submit to linked sites or other services will be subject to the privacy policies or personal information collection statement of those sites or services (if any). You are advised to review the relevant policies carefully before providing any information to those linked sites or services.
24. If you wish to contact us directly, please email us at the following email addresses:
For TVB Weekly: email@example.com
For TVB Event Power: firstname.lastname@example.org
In response, we may ask you to provide certain details about yourself so that we can be sure you are the person to whom the personal data refers. We may charge you a reasonable fee for processing such access requests. Please note that all information, other than the personal data that you send through this email, will not be considered or treated as confidential information. Do not send us through this email any information, ideas, suggestions, proposals or comments that you consider confidential or that you want to be treated as confidential.
25. Your telephone conversations with our staff may be recorded, retained and used as evidence by us without further notice.
26. If any part of this PICS shall be deemed unlawful or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severable from this PICS and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any of the remaining provision of this PICS.
27. This PICS shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong. Disputes arising here from shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong.
28. The English version of this PICS shall prevail over any Chinese version (if any) which is provided for information purposes only.
Last updated: 15 July 2020 (Version 1.0)